Friday, October 23, 2009

Why Ask Why?

"Why am I discouraged? Why so sad? I will put my hope in God! I will praise him again—my Savior and my God.” (Psalm 42:5,11; 43:5, NLT)

The psalmist asks this question three times in the span of the 16 combined verses of Psalm 42 and 43. Obviously, he was wrestling with feelings of discouragement and sadness. He could have let those feelings spiral downward and turn into depression, resentment, or even anger. But, he chooses to look upward and focus his hopes on God, praising Him for being his Savior.

Are you discouraged or sad today? Make a choice to look up and place your hope in God. Meditate upon His goodness and His grace. Praise Him by repeating scriptures like this one out loud and in your heart.

You may soon find yourself asking, “Why was I so discouraged, when I belong to such a wonderful God?”

Daily Prayer Focus

Oct. 24 - Contemporary Service
Oct. 25 - Pastors
Oct. 26 - Bereaved Families
Oct. 27 - Finance Ministry Team
Oct. 28 - Club 56
Oct. 29 - Judicial System
Oct. 30 - N. American Missions
Oct. 31 - FUMC Church Staff



Prayers
Tommy Killough
Emma Gaines
Brandon Hacker
Jeff Powell & Family
Mark Harrell's grandmother

Praises
Women's walk to Emmaus weekend
The power of prayer

No comments:

Post a Comment